Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sadducee - Part 1.... Just Kidding.

I read this quote from a study on the book of Galatians. I thought I'd share it:

“If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious and pleased with us, or if we
presumptuously expect to please Him through our works, then all [our compliance
with the law] is pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up
self as a false [savior]… Note for yourself, then, how far apart these two are:
keeping the First Commandment with outward works only, and keeping it with
inward [justifying faith]. For this last makes true, living children of God, the other
only makes worse idolatry and the most mischievous hypocrites on earth…”
-Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works, 1520

Some questions to ask (yourself):

Do you believe that God is gracious and pleased with you?

Do you expect to please Him through your works?

Are you deceiving yourself, and those around you?

Are you outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting yourself up as a self-savior?

I've thought about it this week a little more; this whole Grace thing. I have once again concluded that there is nothing to add to it, nothing to expect from it, nothing to do for it, now or in eternity. I want my motivation for anything noble that I desire to do -- for living rightly, for honoring God, family, country, and obeying the golden rule -- to be the fact that God loves me, and is pleased with me.

If it is not that, it is not the Gospel. If that is not enough for me, then I need to pray that it would be sufficient motivation; the only motivation.

Just blogging; just thinking.

No comments: